I made a box to hold a laser cut Carcassonne set that I have previously made.
I used the mitre saw to cut mitre joints into a piece of wood. Then I used the circular saw to cut slots for the top and bottom multiplex boards. After gluing the box together I used the circular saw to separate the lid and chiselled out holes for the fabric hinges. These were glued in and covered with some of the removed wood. Finally I added some dividers to organise the pieces inside the box and laser engraved a logo which was inlaid in the lid.
I made myself a Lazy Susan (turntable) with a veneered chessboard on the surface. It is great for board games and serving food.
I used a variety of tools at the Makerspace to complete this project. This was the first time I have used veneer in a pattern on a surface.
The top and bottom pieces of wood were roughly cut into circles. Then made round and channels added using a router. Dividers were made on a scroll saw and holes drilled for marbles. A bolt holds the top and bottom together. Veneers were cut into squares and the edges sanded before applying them to the top. More veneer was added to the top before sanding it flat. After a few repairs to the top surface the turntable was varnished and felt feet were applied to the bottom.
The first week of April we cleaned and realigned the optics of our Lasersaur. It works like new now. The first trial I did was an Icarus Automaton. It’s based on a Cupid Instructable by robives.com . My pupils at school are working on an Icarus/Daedalus assignment an I thought: “Why not make an Icarus myself”.
And this is how it looks, when it moves But of course a trail also brings some flaws to light. The Laser cutter still needs some tweaking of the optics… as you can see on the photo’s of the front and back of the cut plywood for my automaton
I worked with plywood 3mm with a base coat white paint. The lasersaur was set to speed 1000 at 40% powerit worked good on most places, but there is a zone close to 0 that loses power through alignment problems. Were almost there though… And my project was finished in no time!
This is my coffee table made from American walnut (gray), Oak (white) and Padouk (red). These colors are natural. This Padouk has a rare grain pattern, the white ‘clouds’ are sap-wood, which are normally not mixed with the older red tinted wood. I love finding these rare woods and combining them into beautiful tabletops. The table is a simple and lightweight design, finished with Skylt polyurethane finish.
We’re improving our dust-control. This sees us connecting the various machines up to a central dust and chip separator and vac-shop.
But we needed some sort of valves; so we do not waste precious flow capacity on machines that are not in use. Unfortunately the PVC ball valves we got where very stiff (especially when cold). And it would not be long before the handles would break.
We tried lubing them – to no avail.
Ultimately we broke out one of the largest tools we have at the makerspace; the abene mill.
Vorig weekeinde was de grote opruimdag (we doen dit zo’n 2 a 3 keer per jaar – om te voorkomen dat de ruimte dichtslibt).
Met dank aan iedereen die geholpen heeft – en dankzij Fulco hebben we nu veel betere stalling van het metaal. Hier staat onze gezamelijke restvoorraad (deelnemers doneren een paar euro per kilo als ze iets gebruiken – alsmede speciaal metaal van deelnemers dat niet in hun krat of kist past).
De Nederlandse overheid promoot gasvrij koken en verwarmen, hier is t’ie dan… de aardgasvrije Flame heater!
De Flame heater lamp simuleert actieve vlammen in een koker. De lamp is 2 meter hoog en bestaat uit 5 strips van elk 60 individueel adresseerbare LEDs die worden aangestuurd door een Arduino Nano kloon. De 5 strips zijn verticaal rondom bevestigd aan een mast van een surfplank. De code is een bewerkte versie van de oorspronkelijke code ‘Fire2012 by Mark Kriegsman, July 2012’.
Dutch goverment promotes gas-free cooking and heating, so here it is! The natural gas-free Flame heater.
The Flame heater lamp simulates active flames in a sleeve. The lamp is 2 meters high and consists of 5strips of60 individual addressable RGB LEDs each and is controlled by an Arduino Nano clone. The 5 strips are vertically mounted on around a surfboard mast. The code is an adapted version of the original ‘Fire2012 by Mark Kriegsman, July 2012’.